How to Choose the Best Massage Therapist Training Course near Speedwell Tennessee
Selecting the best massage therapy school near Speedwell TN is a critical first step toward starting a fulfilling new career in massage therapy. After all, who wouldn’t want to work in an occupation where the sole purpose is to help patients function and feel better? Massage therapists can work in a wide variety of settings, such as medical clinics, health spas, hospitals and alternative care facilities. However prior to beginning a career in this specialty of holistic healthcare, obtaining the right training and licensing is imperative. And keep in mind that not all massage therapy programs are the same. When evaluating your options, it’s essential that you research all aspects of the schools you are reviewing and not just the cost or convenience of the locations. We will provide some basic tips that you should incorporate into your due diligence process when choosing a massage therapy school.
What is Massage Therapy?
As mentioned in the introduction, massage therapy is a holistic form of healthcare in Speedwell TN that helps people feel and function better. The massage therapist manipulates skin, muscles and tissue to reduce stress and relieve tension and pain in their patients. Swedish, or Classic Massage, is the type of massage that most people think of when discussing massage therapy, and most massage therapy schools teach it as their primary form of massage. However, there are many other types of massage that programs may or may not include within their course of instruction. Following are just a few examples.
- Neuromuscular Therapy Massage
- Deep Tissue Massage
- Sports Massage
- Shiatsu Massage
- Thai Massage
- Hot Stone Massage
- Pregnancy Massage
Professionals that work in massage therapy in Speedwell TN should be referred to as massage therapists. From time to time one may hear them called a masseuse or a masseur, which refers to a female or a male massage practitioner. However, these terms generally carry a negative connotation among the general public and professionals alike and should be avoided.
Massage Therapist Training Requirements
Most schools offering massage therapy require that the enrollee have a high school diploma or its equivalent to qualify. Programs can range in length from several months for a Certificate or a Diploma to as long as two years for an Associate’s Degree. The lengths of the programs will also vary by State based on the number of hours required for licensing. Another factor that may also influence the program length is whether classes are offered in Speedwell TN during the day or in the evening. Also, an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy may have general education requirements and are often transferable into a related Bachelor’s Degree Program. Once you have received your Certificate or Degree, the education does not end there. The amount and type of continuing education you will need to complete will depend on the State where you are licensed. Some states require both a certain number of hours of continuing education as well as specific education in subjects such as HIPAA compliance or ethics.
Massage Therapist Licensing
Once you have graduated from an accredited massage therapy school, you will then need to become licensed in the State where you will be practicing. The Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx), is a test controlled and administered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) and is required by most States as part of the licensing process. Some States have their own or additional exams, so check with your State prior to enrolling in a massage therapy program. If you do not pass the MBLEx in the first attempt, you can take it again after 30 days but must pay an additional exam fee. Once licensed, you will need to maintain it in most states, which means paying a renewal fee and satisfying renewal requirements. As previously mentioned, renewal typically requires a certain number of hours of continuing education be completed. And if you should move to another State, you will need to get licensed in that new State as well. Every State regulates massage therapy differently, so it is not safe to assume that you will automatically qualify for licensing. Check with your new State before moving to confirm that you meet the requirements to legally practice there.
What to Ask Massage Therapy Schools
Before you pick a massage therapy school, there are some important questions that you need to ask about the programs you are considering. As previously mentioned, the location of the school is important, particularly if you will be commuting to classes from Speedwell TN. And of course the total cost, including tuition, books and all training materials will also be an important factor. But beyond those basic qualifications, following are some questions you should ask so that you have all of the facts before enrolling in a massage therapist training program.
- Is the School Accredited? Accreditation may be required for licensing as well as student loans or financial aid. It also helps to ensure that the program meets acceptable levels of quality. Some Speedwell TN employers also prefer job candidates from accredited schools.
- Does their Curriculum Comply with EALP Standards? Entry-Level Analysis Project (EALP) standards were created by an association of massage organizations to define minimum standards for preparing massage school graduates for entry-level professional work.
- What Massage Therapy Programs are Available? Find out if the type of program you are interested in is available, such as an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy. Also, if you need to attend evening classes near Speedwell TN make sure that they are offered as well.
- What Types of Massage Therapy are Taught? As previously mentioned, most massage therapy schools teach Swedish Massage. However, the better programs include multiple types of massage therapy. Make sure that the program you choose includes those you are most interested in.
- Is Financial Aid Available? To qualify for federal financial aid or a student loan, the school will need to be accredited by a national accrediting organization. Find out from the schools you are considering what they offer in aid or if they assist students in obtaining funding from other sources.
- How Long has the School Existed? One indication that a school provides a quality education is longevity. However, all schools had to start from day one, and many fine schools are relatively new. So use this as one of several qualifications when comparing schools.
- Does the School have a Job Placement Program? Find out if the schools have job placement programs and what their placement rates are. Ask if they assist with such skills as how to interview for a position and how to prepare a resume.
- Is Plenty of Hands-On Training Provided? This includes classroom training as well as placement in internship programs. The best massage therapy schools make sure that students have plenty of time to practice what they learn so they can develop their skills and be corrected when necessary.
- What is the Background of the Faculty? Find out what the experience and credentials are of the teaching faculty. Speaking with schools’ faculty in person can also provide valuable information. Before applying, arrange to take a tour of the school and talk with staff members and students if permissible. Schools may also have Open House events for prospective students.
Massage Therapy School Time Speedwell TN
Good luck as you embark on your journey to begin a career as a professional massage therapist. As with all things worth achieving, it will take a lot of hard work and dedication to succeed. You originally came to this website because of your interest in Massage Therapy School Time and wanting to get more information on the topic Accredited Local Massage Therapy Programs. However, by following the suggestions contained within this article, you will have an excellent opportunity for success by enrolling in the right massage therapist school. And with the right education you will soon become a professional massage therapist servicing the Speedwell Tennessee area.
Other Massage Therapy Locations in Tennessee
Speedwell is an agricultural community that was first settled c. 1790. It is the site of Powell Valley Elementary School, a Claiborne County public school for kindergarten through grade 8, and a post office that is assigned zip code 37870.
Business Results 1 - 10 of 3
Bing: Tennessee Massage Therapy Schools Search results
List of the Best Speech Therapy Schools in the U.S.
Speech language pathology programs are offered at many of the country's best schools. Students who graduate from these programs usually receive a Master of Arts in Speech Language Pathology. The University of Iowa, Arizona State University, and Northwestern University are all top schools that offer graduate programs in speech-language pathology.
Board of Massage Licensure - Tennessee
Tennessee Law Massage Statutes (Live Webinar) 2 Vicki Sutherland. 901-413-2616 www.cesforlmts.com TN010621-07 Shakira A. Baly, LMT Tennessee Law - Massage Therapy 2 Shakira A. Baly. 615-422-5079. [email protected] TN011521-08 Michael Matthews, LMT Tennessee Massage Law 2 Michael Matthews. 423-304-8080. [email protected] TN011521-09
Physical Therapy Schools in California with Degree Program Info
Christian Physical Therapy Schools. Christian physical therapy schools are available from coast to coast and are affiliated with several different denominations.... Top Schools for Physical Therapy. Find out which top schools offer training in physical therapy, including the graduate program necessary to work as a physical...
Schools of Medical Massage | Program Information
In July 2012, over 34 million American adults had discussed massage therapy with their doctors or health care providers. Nearly half of massage therapists (51%) indicate they receive referrals from health care professionals every 6 months. —AMTA Survey, 2012; The number of hospitals offering massage therapy has increased by 30% in the last ...
AMTA | American Massage Therapy Association
Massage therapy has numerous benefits for many health conditions. Explore the massage/health connection and see how you can help your clients with a variety of medical challenges. ... Schools. Discover the tools and resources you need to strengthen your school, broaden your reach and set your faculty and students up for success. New Benefit ...
Accredited Massage Therapy Schools Near Me - LMT Programs
Accredited schools have financial aid assistance for students who qualify. "Massage therapy students will take courses in kinesiology, which is the study of motion and mechanics of the human body; pathology, history of massage, laws and regulations ..., different types of massage such as Swedish, hot stone, sports, deep tissue, prenatal, and more."
State Regulations | AMTA - American Massage Therapy Association
Find information about massage therapy regulations by state and massage therapy licenses and licensing requirements. ... Tennessee. enacted 1995. Texas. enacted 1985. Utah. enacted 1981. Virginia. enacted 1996. Washington. ... massage students and schools, AMTA invests membership dollars in advocacy and promotion of the health benefits of ...
How to Start a Massage Therapy Business | TRUiC
If massage therapy is indeed covered by insurance, you must fill out a health insurance claim form to receive payment. An example insurance claim form; More information on the reimbursement process ; STEP 7: Get business insurance ... Therapists can attend CE classes through their local massage schools or travel for national and international ...
How to Become a Massage Therapist | Starting Out ...
This section will help students, career changers and recent graduates figure out how to become a massage therapist in their specific state. A general overview is presented first. State specific massage therapist licensure information is presented next in a simple to navigate format with navigation taking users to their state and then to the specific information they are looking for without ...
Massage CE Directory - Local CEU Classes for Massage Therapists
We are pleased to support massage therapists and CE providers by providing a platform to easily publish and find local massage therapy CEU workshops. Find massage CE classes anywhere in the country including North Carolina, Tennessee, Florida, Texas, and Washington.