How to Enroll in the Best Massage Therapist Course near Stillmore Georgia
Selecting the right massage therapist school near Stillmore GA is an important first step toward starting a rewarding first or second career in massage therapy. As you have no doubt concluded, who wouldn’t enjoy working in a profession where the sole purpose is to help people feel and function better? Massage therapists are employed in a wide range of locations, such as hospitals, day spas, health clubs and even aboard cruise ships! However prior to starting a career in this specialty of holistic healthcare, receiving the proper training and licensing is essential. And remember that not all massage therapy programs are alike. When making your evaluations, it’s essential that you research all aspects of the schools you are reviewing and not just the cost or convenience of the locations. We will provide a few fundamental tips that you should include in your review process when selecting a massage therapist school.
What is a Massage Therapist?
As mentioned in the introduction, massage therapy is a holistic form of healthcare in Stillmore GA that helps people feel and function better. The massage therapist manipulates skin, muscles and tissue to reduce stress and relieve tension and pain in their patients. Swedish, or Classic Massage, is the type of massage that most people think of when discussing massage therapy, and most massage therapy schools teach it as their primary form of massage. However, there are many other types of massage that programs may or may not include within their course of instruction. Following are just a few examples.
- Neuromuscular Therapy Massage
- Deep Tissue Massage
- Sports Massage
- Shiatsu Massage
- Thai Massage
- Hot Stone Massage
- Pregnancy Massage
Professionals that work in massage therapy in Stillmore GA should be referred to as massage therapists. From time to time one may hear them called a masseuse or a masseur, which refers to a female or a male massage practitioner. However, these terms generally carry a negative connotation among the general public and professionals alike and should be avoided.
Massage Therapist Training Requirements
Most schools offering massage therapy require that the enrollee have a high school diploma or its equivalent to qualify. Programs can range in length from several months for a Certificate or a Diploma to as long as two years for an Associate’s Degree. The lengths of the programs will also vary by State based on the number of hours required for licensing. Another factor that may also influence the program length is whether classes are offered in Stillmore GA during the day or in the evening. Also, an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy may have general education requirements and are often transferable into a related Bachelor’s Degree Program. Once you have received your Certificate or Degree, the education does not end there. The amount and type of continuing education you will need to complete will depend on the State where you are licensed. Some states require both a certain number of hours of continuing education as well as specific education in subjects such as HIPAA compliance or ethics.
Massage Therapist Licensing
Once you have graduated from an accredited massage therapy school, you will then need to become licensed in the State where you will be practicing. The Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx), is a test controlled and administered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) and is required by most States as part of the licensing process. Some States have their own or additional exams, so check with your State prior to enrolling in a massage therapy program. If you do not pass the MBLEx in the first attempt, you can take it again after 30 days but must pay an additional exam fee. Once licensed, you will need to maintain it in most states, which means paying a renewal fee and satisfying renewal requirements. As previously mentioned, renewal typically requires a certain number of hours of continuing education be completed. And if you should move to another State, you will need to get licensed in that new State as well. Every State regulates massage therapy differently, so it is not safe to assume that you will automatically qualify for licensing. Check with your new State before moving to confirm that you meet the requirements to legally practice there.
Questions to Ask Massage Therapist Courses
Before you select a massage therapy program, there are some important questions that you need to ask about the programs you are considering. As previously mentioned, the location of the school is important, particularly if you will be commuting to classes from Stillmore GA. And of course the total cost, including tuition, books and all training materials will also be an important factor. But beyond those basic qualifications, following are some questions you should ask so that you have all of the facts before choosing a massage therapist training program.
- Is the School Accredited? Accreditation may be required for licensing as well as student loans or financial aid. It also helps to ensure that the program meets acceptable levels of quality. Some Stillmore GA employers also prefer job candidates from accredited schools.
- Does their Curriculum Comply with EALP Standards? Entry-Level Analysis Project (EALP) standards were created by an association of massage organizations to define minimum standards for preparing massage school graduates for entry-level professional work.
- What Massage Therapy Programs are Available? Find out if the type of program you are interested in is available, such as an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy. Also, if you need to attend evening classes near Stillmore GA make sure that they are offered as well.
- What Types of Massage Therapy are Taught? As previously mentioned, most massage therapy schools teach Swedish Massage. However, the better programs include multiple types of massage therapy. Make sure that the program you choose includes those you are most interested in.
- Is Financial Aid Available? To qualify for federal financial aid or a student loan, the school will need to be accredited by a national accrediting organization. Find out from the schools you are considering what they offer in aid or if they assist students in obtaining funding from other sources.
- How Long has the School Existed? One indication that a school provides a quality education is longevity. However, all schools had to start from day one, and many fine schools are relatively new. So use this as one of several qualifications when comparing schools.
- Does the School have a Job Placement Program? Find out if the schools have job placement programs and what their placement rates are. Ask if they assist with such skills as how to interview for a position and how to prepare a resume.
- Is Plenty of Hands-On Training Provided? This includes classroom training as well as placement in internship programs. The best massage therapy schools make sure that students have plenty of time to practice what they learn so they can develop their skills and be corrected when necessary.
- What is the Background of the Faculty? Find out what the experience and credentials are of the teaching faculty. Speaking with schools’ faculty in person can also provide valuable information. Before applying, arrange to take a tour of the school and talk with staff members and students if permissible. Schools may also have Open House events for prospective students.
Massage Therapist Education Stillmore GA
Good luck as you embark on your journey to begin a career as a professional massage therapist. As with all things worth achieving, it will take a lot of hard work and dedication to succeed. You originally came to this website because of your interest in Massage Therapist Education and wanting to get more information on the topic Massage Therapy Degree Program. However, by following the suggestions contained within this article, you will have an excellent opportunity for success by choosing the right massage therapist training program. And with the right education you will soon become a professional massage therapist servicing the Stillmore Georgia area.
Other Massage Therapy Locations in Georgia
Stillmore is located in southeastern Emanuel County at 32°26′28″N 82°12′53″W / 32.44111°N 82.21472°W / 32.44111; -82.21472 (32.441176, -82.214637).Georgia State Route 57 passes through the town, leading northwest 14 miles (23 km) to Swainsboro, the county seat, and southeast 5 miles (8 km) to Interstate 16 at Exit 98. Georgia State Route 192 crosses GA 57 in the center of Stillmore, leading northeast 11 miles (18 km) to Twin City and west 5 miles (8 km) to U.S. Route 1.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Stillmore has a total area of 3.2 square miles (8.3 km2), of which 3.1 square miles (8.0 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.3 km2), or 3.39%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 730 people, 220 households, and 159 families residing in the town. The population density was 229.8 people per square mile (88.6/km²). There were 253 housing units at an average density of 79.6 per square mile (30.7/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 35.07% White, 47.95% African American, 0.14% Native American, 1.23% Asian, 15.07% from other races, and 0.55% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 17.81% of the population.
Bing: Georgia Massage Therapy Schools Search results
Esthetician School Near Me l | Skin Care, Facialist, Aesthetics Classes ...
Many cosmetology students choose esthetics programs because they want to provide skincare, such as facials, to clients. If you aren’t interested in hair or nail design as career options, this type of program will give you a more focused education.
List of the Best Speech Therapy Schools in the U.S. - Study.com
Top Ranked Massage Therapy School - Jersey City, NJ. Few schools in the Jersey City area have top ranking massage therapy programs. Read on to find out more about what these top... Speech Therapist: Speech Therapy Career Education. Speech therapists require significant formal education.
Clinical / Medical Massage Therapy School in Charlotte, North Carolina
PLEASE CALL — then Visit — the North Carolina School of Advanced Bodywork: a Clinical / Medical Massage Therapy & Myo-Structural Bodywork School in Charlotte, North Carolina The beauty of our program is we are a small boutique-style school and you will graduate in the shortest period of time possible (24 to 48 weeks). Our focus is on YOU becoming a Clinical, Medical Soft Tissue Specialist ...
AMTA - American Massage Therapy Association
Massage therapy has numerous benefits for many health conditions. Explore the massage/health connection and see how you can help your clients with a variety of medical challenges. ... Schools. Discover the tools and resources you need to strengthen your school, broaden your reach and set your faculty and students up for success. New Benefit ...
Credentials for the Massage Therapy Profession | AMTA
The American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA) is the largest non-profit, professional association representing massage therapy and was founded in 1943. ... (i.e., institutions or schools that grant certificates or diplomas) while certification and licensing involves individual practitioners. Accreditation is defined as the process whereby an ...
Georgia State University, Majors & Degree Programs - College Factual
Georgia State University offers 56 distinct undergraduate degrees, concentrated into 51 majors within 19 broad fields of study. Across all areas of study, Georgia State University awarded 5,196 undergraduate degrees in 2018 - 2019 .
Physical therapy - Wikipedia
Physical therapy (PT), also known as physiotherapy, is one of the allied health professions. It is provided by physical therapists who promote, maintain, or restore health through physical examination, diagnosis, prognosis, patient education, physical intervention, rehabilitation, disease prevention, and health promotion. Physical therapists are known as physiotherapists in many countries.
How to Perform a Visual Assessment in Massage Therapy - Study.com
As a massage therapist, being able to assess a patient's needs prior to beginning a session is an important skill. Learn how to perform a visual assessment in massage therapy by learning the three ...