How to Pick the Best Massage Therapist Training Classes near Pinehurst Georgia
Selecting the best massage therapist school near Pinehurst GA is a critical first step toward launching a rewarding first or second career as a massage therapist. After all, who wouldn’t want to work in a profession where the primary goal is to help people feel and function better? Massage therapists are employed in a wide variety of settings, such as medical clinics, health spas, hospitals and alternative care facilities. However prior to beginning a career in this specialty of holistic healthcare, receiving the right training and licensing is a must. And keep in mind that massage therapist schools are not all the same. When evaluating your options, it’s essential that you look at all facets of the schools you are reviewing and not make your decision based solely on location or cost of tuition. We will provide some basic tips that you need to include in your review process when selecting a massage therapy school.
What is Massage Therapy?
As mentioned in the introduction, massage therapy is a holistic form of healthcare in Pinehurst GA that helps people feel and function better. The massage therapist manipulates skin, muscles and tissue to reduce stress and relieve tension and pain in their patients. Swedish, or Classic Massage, is the type of massage that most people think of when discussing massage therapy, and most massage therapy schools teach it as their primary form of massage. However, there are many other types of massage that programs may or may not include within their course of instruction. Following are just a few examples.
- Neuromuscular Therapy Massage
- Deep Tissue Massage
- Sports Massage
- Shiatsu Massage
- Thai Massage
- Hot Stone Massage
- Pregnancy Massage
Professionals that work in massage therapy in Pinehurst GA should be referred to as massage therapists. From time to time one may hear them called a masseuse or a masseur, which refers to a female or a male massage practitioner. However, these terms generally carry a negative connotation among the general public and professionals alike and should be avoided.
Massage Therapy Training Requirements
Most schools offering massage therapy require that the enrollee have a high school diploma or its equivalent to qualify. Programs can range in length from several months for a Certificate or a Diploma to as long as two years for an Associate’s Degree. The lengths of the programs will also vary by State based on the number of hours required for licensing. Another factor that may also influence the program length is whether classes are offered in Pinehurst GA during the day or in the evening. Also, an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy may have general education requirements and are often transferable into a related Bachelor’s Degree Program. Once you have received your Certificate or Degree, the education does not end there. The amount and type of continuing education you will need to complete will depend on the State where you are licensed. Some states require both a certain number of hours of continuing education as well as specific education in subjects such as HIPAA compliance or ethics.
Massage Therapist Licensing
Once you have graduated from an accredited massage therapy school, you will then need to become licensed in the State where you will be practicing. The Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx), is a test controlled and administered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) and is required by most States as part of the licensing process. Some States have their own or additional exams, so check with your State prior to enrolling in a massage therapy program. If you do not pass the MBLEx in the first attempt, you can take it again after 30 days but must pay an additional exam fee. Once licensed, you will need to maintain it in most states, which means paying a renewal fee and satisfying renewal requirements. As previously mentioned, renewal typically requires a certain number of hours of continuing education be completed. And if you should move to another State, you will need to get licensed in that new State as well. Every State regulates massage therapy differently, so it is not safe to assume that you will automatically qualify for licensing. Check with your new State before moving to confirm that you meet the requirements to legally practice there.
What to Ask Massage Therapist Courses
Before you enroll in a massage therapy program, there are some important questions that you need to ask about the programs you are considering. As previously mentioned, the location of the school is important, particularly if you will be commuting to classes from Pinehurst GA. And of course the total cost, including tuition, books and all training materials will also be an important factor. But beyond those basic qualifications, following are some questions you should ask so that you have all of the facts before picking a massage therapist training program.
- Is the School Accredited? Accreditation may be required for licensing as well as student loans or financial aid. It also helps to ensure that the program meets acceptable levels of quality. Some Pinehurst GA employers also prefer job candidates from accredited schools.
- Does their Curriculum Comply with EALP Standards? Entry-Level Analysis Project (EALP) standards were created by an association of massage organizations to define minimum standards for preparing massage school graduates for entry-level professional work.
- What Massage Therapy Programs are Available? Find out if the type of program you are interested in is available, such as an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy. Also, if you need to attend evening classes near Pinehurst GA make sure that they are offered as well.
- What Types of Massage Therapy are Taught? As previously mentioned, most massage therapy schools teach Swedish Massage. However, the better programs include multiple types of massage therapy. Make sure that the program you choose includes those you are most interested in.
- Is Financial Aid Available? To qualify for federal financial aid or a student loan, the school will need to be accredited by a national accrediting organization. Find out from the schools you are considering what they offer in aid or if they assist students in obtaining funding from other sources.
- How Long has the School Existed? One indication that a school provides a quality education is longevity. However, all schools had to start from day one, and many fine schools are relatively new. So use this as one of several qualifications when comparing schools.
- Does the School have a Job Placement Program? Find out if the schools have job placement programs and what their placement rates are. Ask if they assist with such skills as how to interview for a position and how to prepare a resume.
- Is Plenty of Hands-On Training Provided? This includes classroom training as well as placement in internship programs. The best massage therapy schools make sure that students have plenty of time to practice what they learn so they can develop their skills and be corrected when necessary.
- What is the Background of the Faculty? Find out what the experience and credentials are of the teaching faculty. Speaking with schools’ faculty in person can also provide valuable information. Before applying, arrange to take a tour of the school and talk with staff members and students if permissible. Schools may also have Open House events for prospective students.
Student Massage Therapy Pinehurst GA
Good luck as you embark on your journey to begin a career as a professional massage therapist. As with all things worth achieving, it will take a lot of hard work and dedication to succeed. You originally came to this website because of your interest in Student Massage Therapy and wanting to get more information on the topic Accredited Local Massage Therapy Classes. However, by following the suggestions contained within this article, you will have an excellent opportunity for success by selecting the right massage therapist school. And with the right education you will soon become a professional massage therapist servicing the Pinehurst Georgia area.
Other Massage Therapy Locations in Georgia
Pinehurst is located northeast of the center of Dooly County at 32°11′40″N 83°45′40″W / 32.19444°N 83.76111°W / 32.19444; -83.76111 (32.194472, -83.761112).U.S. Route 41 passes through the center of town as Pine Avenue, leading north 5 miles (8 km) to Unadilla and south 8 miles (13 km) to Vienna, the county seat. Interstate 75 passes just east of the town limits, with access from Exit 117; I-75 leads north 48 miles (77 km) to Macon and south 56 miles (90 km) to Tifton.
As of the census of 2000, there were 307 people, 145 households, and 87 families residing in the city. The population density was 301.2 people per square mile (116.2/km²). There were 156 housing units at an average density of 153.0 per square mile (59.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 49.84% White, 49.19% African American, 0.33% Native American, and 0.65% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.95% of the population.
There were 145 households out of which 22.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.1% were married couples living together, 15.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 40.0% were non-families. 39.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.12 and the average family size was 2.80.
Business Results 1 - 10 of 2
Bing: Georgia Massage Therapy Schools Search results
Esthetician School Near Me l | Skin Care, Facialist, Aesthetics Classes ...
Many cosmetology students choose esthetics programs because they want to provide skincare, such as facials, to clients. If you aren’t interested in hair or nail design as career options, this type of program will give you a more focused education.
List of the Best Speech Therapy Schools in the U.S. - Study.com
Top Ranked Massage Therapy School - Jersey City, NJ. Few schools in the Jersey City area have top ranking massage therapy programs. Read on to find out more about what these top... Speech Therapist: Speech Therapy Career Education. Speech therapists require significant formal education.
Clinical / Medical Massage Therapy School in Charlotte, North Carolina
PLEASE CALL — then Visit — the North Carolina School of Advanced Bodywork: a Clinical / Medical Massage Therapy & Myo-Structural Bodywork School in Charlotte, North Carolina The beauty of our program is we are a small boutique-style school and you will graduate in the shortest period of time possible (24 to 48 weeks). Our focus is on YOU becoming a Clinical, Medical Soft Tissue Specialist ...
AMTA - American Massage Therapy Association
Massage therapy has numerous benefits for many health conditions. Explore the massage/health connection and see how you can help your clients with a variety of medical challenges. ... Schools. Discover the tools and resources you need to strengthen your school, broaden your reach and set your faculty and students up for success. New Benefit ...
Credentials for the Massage Therapy Profession | AMTA
The American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA) is the largest non-profit, professional association representing massage therapy and was founded in 1943. ... (i.e., institutions or schools that grant certificates or diplomas) while certification and licensing involves individual practitioners. Accreditation is defined as the process whereby an ...
Georgia State University, Majors & Degree Programs - College Factual
Georgia State University offers 56 distinct undergraduate degrees, concentrated into 51 majors within 19 broad fields of study. Across all areas of study, Georgia State University awarded 5,196 undergraduate degrees in 2018 - 2019 .
Physical therapy - Wikipedia
Physical therapy (PT), also known as physiotherapy, is one of the allied health professions. It is provided by physical therapists who promote, maintain, or restore health through physical examination, diagnosis, prognosis, patient education, physical intervention, rehabilitation, disease prevention, and health promotion. Physical therapists are known as physiotherapists in many countries.
How to Perform a Visual Assessment in Massage Therapy - Study.com
As a massage therapist, being able to assess a patient's needs prior to beginning a session is an important skill. Learn how to perform a visual assessment in massage therapy by learning the three ...