How to Find the Right Massage Therapist Training Classes near Galeton Colorado
Enrolling in the right massage therapist school near Galeton CO is a critical first step toward launching a fulfilling new career in massage therapy. As you have no doubt concluded, who wouldn’t enjoy working in a profession where the sole purpose is to help people function and feel better? Massage therapists are employed in a wide range of settings, including hospitals, day spas, health clubs and even aboard cruise ships! However prior to beginning a career in this specialty of holistic healthcare, receiving the proper training and licensing is a must. And remember that massage therapist schools are not all alike. When evaluating your options, it’s important that you look at all facets of the schools you are reviewing and not just the cost or convenience of the locations. We will provide some fundamental tips that you should include in your review process when choosing a massage therapy school.
What is Massage Therapy?
As mentioned in the introduction, massage therapy is a holistic form of healthcare in Galeton CO that helps people feel and function better. The massage therapist manipulates skin, muscles and tissue to reduce stress and relieve tension and pain in their patients. Swedish, or Classic Massage, is the type of massage that most people think of when discussing massage therapy, and most massage therapy schools teach it as their primary form of massage. However, there are many other types of massage that programs may or may not include within their course of instruction. Following are just a few examples.
- Neuromuscular Therapy Massage
- Deep Tissue Massage
- Sports Massage
- Shiatsu Massage
- Thai Massage
- Hot Stone Massage
- Pregnancy Massage
Professionals that work in massage therapy in Galeton CO should be referred to as massage therapists. From time to time one may hear them called a masseuse or a masseur, which refers to a female or a male massage practitioner. However, these terms generally carry a negative connotation among the general public and professionals alike and should be avoided.
Massage Therapy Training Requirements
Most schools offering massage therapy require that the enrollee have a high school diploma or its equivalent to qualify. Programs can range in length from several months for a Certificate or a Diploma to as long as two years for an Associate’s Degree. The lengths of the programs will also vary by State based on the number of hours required for licensing. Another factor that may also influence the program length is whether classes are offered in Galeton CO during the day or in the evening. Also, an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy may have general education requirements and are often transferable into a related Bachelor’s Degree Program. Once you have received your Certificate or Degree, the education does not end there. The amount and type of continuing education you will need to complete will depend on the State where you are licensed. Some states require both a certain number of hours of continuing education as well as specific education in subjects such as HIPAA compliance or ethics.
Massage Therapist Licensing
Once you have graduated from an accredited massage therapy school, you will then need to become licensed in the State where you will be practicing. The Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx), is a test controlled and administered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) and is required by most States as part of the licensing process. Some States have their own or additional exams, so check with your State prior to enrolling in a massage therapy program. If you do not pass the MBLEx in the first attempt, you can take it again after 30 days but must pay an additional exam fee. Once licensed, you will need to maintain it in most states, which means paying a renewal fee and satisfying renewal requirements. As previously mentioned, renewal typically requires a certain number of hours of continuing education be completed. And if you should move to another State, you will need to get licensed in that new State as well. Every State regulates massage therapy differently, so it is not safe to assume that you will automatically qualify for licensing. Check with your new State before moving to confirm that you meet the requirements to legally practice there.
Questions to Ask Massage Therapist Programs
Before you select a massage therapist program, there are some important questions that you need to ask about the programs you are considering. As previously mentioned, the location of the school is important, particularly if you will be commuting to classes from Galeton CO. And of course the total cost, including tuition, books and all training materials will also be an important factor. But beyond those basic qualifications, following are some questions you should ask so that you have all of the facts before choosing a massage therapist degree program.
- Is the School Accredited? Accreditation may be required for licensing as well as student loans or financial aid. It also helps to ensure that the program meets acceptable levels of quality. Some Galeton CO employers also prefer job candidates from accredited schools.
- Does their Curriculum Comply with EALP Standards? Entry-Level Analysis Project (EALP) standards were created by an association of massage organizations to define minimum standards for preparing massage school graduates for entry-level professional work.
- What Massage Therapy Programs are Available? Find out if the type of program you are interested in is available, such as an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy. Also, if you need to attend evening classes near Galeton CO make sure that they are offered as well.
- What Types of Massage Therapy are Taught? As previously mentioned, most massage therapy schools teach Swedish Massage. However, the better programs include multiple types of massage therapy. Make sure that the program you choose includes those you are most interested in.
- Is Financial Aid Available? To qualify for federal financial aid or a student loan, the school will need to be accredited by a national accrediting organization. Find out from the schools you are considering what they offer in aid or if they assist students in obtaining funding from other sources.
- How Long has the School Existed? One indication that a school provides a quality education is longevity. However, all schools had to start from day one, and many fine schools are relatively new. So use this as one of several qualifications when comparing schools.
- Does the School have a Job Placement Program? Find out if the schools have job placement programs and what their placement rates are. Ask if they assist with such skills as how to interview for a position and how to prepare a resume.
- Is Plenty of Hands-On Training Provided? This includes classroom training as well as placement in internship programs. The best massage therapy schools make sure that students have plenty of time to practice what they learn so they can develop their skills and be corrected when necessary.
- What is the Background of the Faculty? Find out what the experience and credentials are of the teaching faculty. Speaking with schools’ faculty in person can also provide valuable information. Before applying, arrange to take a tour of the school and talk with staff members and students if permissible. Schools may also have Open House events for prospective students.
Learn Massage Therapy Galeton CO
Good luck as you embark on your journey to begin a career as a professional massage therapist. As with all things worth achieving, it will take a lot of hard work and dedication to succeed. You originally came to this website because of your interest in Learn Massage Therapy and wanting to get more information on the topic Therapeutic Massage Training. However, by following the suggestions contained within this article, you will have an excellent opportunity for success by choosing the right massage therapist degree program. And with the right education you will soon become a professional massage therapist servicing the Galeton Colorado area.
Other Massage Therapy Locations in Colorado
Business Results 1 - 10 of 27
Bing: Colorado Massage Therapy Schools Search results
State Regulations | AMTA - American Massage Therapy Association
Find information about massage therapy regulations by state and massage therapy licenses and licensing requirements. ... Colorado. enacted 2008. Connecticut. enacted 1993. Delaware. enacted 1993. District of Columbia . enacted 1994. ... massage students and schools, AMTA invests membership dollars in advocacy and promotion of the health ...
Guidance for businesses & communities | Colorado COVID-19 Updates
Colorado Crisis Services - Free, confidential, professional, and immediate support for any mental health, substance use, or emotional concern, 24/7/365. Call 1-844-493-TALK (8255) or text TALK to 38255 to speak to a trained professional. 211 Colorado - Confidential and multilingual service connecting people to vital resources across the state.
Schools of Medical Massage | Program Information
In July 2012, over 34 million American adults had discussed massage therapy with their doctors or health care providers. Nearly half of massage therapists (51%) indicate they receive referrals from health care professionals every 6 months. —AMTA Survey, 2012; The number of hospitals offering massage therapy has increased by 30% in the last ...
Accredited Massage Therapy Schools Near Me - LMT Programs
Accredited schools have financial aid assistance for students who qualify. "Massage therapy students will take courses in kinesiology, which is the study of motion and mechanics of the human body; pathology, history of massage, laws and regulations ..., different types of massage such as Swedish, hot stone, sports, deep tissue, prenatal, and more.
AMTA | American Massage Therapy Association
Massage therapy has numerous benefits for many health conditions. Explore the massage/health connection and see how you can help your clients with a variety of medical challenges. ... Schools. Discover the tools and resources you need to strengthen your school, broaden your reach and set your faculty and students up for success. New Benefit ...
Massage Therapy HOME | Division of Professions and Occupations - Colorado
Public Notices. Permanent Rulemaking Hearing - September 16, 2022. The Office of Massage Therapy Licensure will hold a Permanent Rulemaking Hearing to allow stakeholders a final opportunity to provide testimony before the Director considers adopting multiple new and revised rules to implement Colorado House Bill 22-1284 (Concerning updates to state surprise billing laws to facilitate the ...
Student Record Request - DPOS Payment System - DPOS, DHE - Colorado
Division of Private Occupational Schools. Student Record Request. To begin the transcript request, please select the school from which you want to obtain a student transcript. First Name* *** Last Name* *** School* *** ...
How to Become a Massage Therapist | Starting Out ...
This section will help students, career changers and recent graduates figure out how to become a massage therapist in their specific state. A general overview is presented first. State specific massage therapist licensure information is presented next in a simple to navigate format with navigation taking users to their state and then to the specific information they are looking for without ...
Home | FSMTB
The mission of the Federation is to support its Member Boards in their work to ensure that the practice of massage therapy is provided to the public in a safe and effective manner. ... Schools. Overview; Massage Education Policy; ... co-authored with Lorna Candler of the Colorado Department of Higher Education, is a practical guide for state ...
Massage therapy exam questions free - abx.traesdy.shop
View Medical Massage Therapy (www.medicalmassageandmore.com) location in Colorado, United States , revenue, industry and description. Find related and similar companies as well as employees by title and much more. ... Consult with the government on the approval of schools and programs of massage therapy. Address: 40 Commonwealth Avenue, Suite ...