How to Choose the Right Massage Therapy School near Munford Alabama
Choosing the right massage therapist school near Munford AL is a critical first step toward launching a fulfilling new career as a massage therapist. As you have no doubt concluded, who wouldn’t enjoy working in a profession where the sole purpose is to help people feel and function better? Massage therapists are employed in a wide variety of locations, such as hospitals, day spas, health clubs and even aboard cruise ships! However prior to starting a career in this specialty of holistic healthcare, obtaining the right training and licensing is imperative. And remember that massage therapist schools are not all alike. When making your evaluations, it’s important that you research all facets of the schools you are reviewing and not just the cost or convenience of the locations. Following are some basic tips that you should incorporate into your review process when choosing a massage therapist school.
What is a Massage Therapist?
As mentioned in the introduction, massage therapy is a holistic form of healthcare in Munford AL that helps people feel and function better. The massage therapist manipulates skin, muscles and tissue to reduce stress and relieve tension and pain in their patients. Swedish, or Classic Massage, is the type of massage that most people think of when discussing massage therapy, and most massage therapy schools teach it as their primary form of massage. However, there are many other types of massage that programs may or may not include within their course of instruction. Following are just a few examples.
- Neuromuscular Therapy Massage
- Deep Tissue Massage
- Sports Massage
- Shiatsu Massage
- Thai Massage
- Hot Stone Massage
- Pregnancy Massage
Professionals that work in massage therapy in Munford AL should be referred to as massage therapists. From time to time one may hear them called a masseuse or a masseur, which refers to a female or a male massage practitioner. However, these terms generally carry a negative connotation among the general public and professionals alike and should be avoided.
Massage Therapy Education Requirements
Most schools offering massage therapy require that the enrollee have a high school diploma or its equivalent to qualify. Programs can range in length from several months for a Certificate or a Diploma to as long as two years for an Associate’s Degree. The lengths of the programs will also vary by State based on the number of hours required for licensing. Another factor that may also influence the program length is whether classes are offered in Munford AL during the day or in the evening. Also, an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy may have general education requirements and are often transferable into a related Bachelor’s Degree Program. Once you have received your Certificate or Degree, the education does not end there. The amount and type of continuing education you will need to complete will depend on the State where you are licensed. Some states require both a certain number of hours of continuing education as well as specific education in subjects such as HIPAA compliance or ethics.
Massage Therapist Licensing
Once you have graduated from an accredited massage therapy school, you will then need to become licensed in the State where you will be practicing. The Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx), is a test controlled and administered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) and is required by most States as part of the licensing process. Some States have their own or additional exams, so check with your State prior to enrolling in a massage therapy program. If you do not pass the MBLEx in the first attempt, you can take it again after 30 days but must pay an additional exam fee. Once licensed, you will need to maintain it in most states, which means paying a renewal fee and satisfying renewal requirements. As previously mentioned, renewal typically requires a certain number of hours of continuing education be completed. And if you should move to another State, you will need to get licensed in that new State as well. Every State regulates massage therapy differently, so it is not safe to assume that you will automatically qualify for licensing. Check with your new State before moving to confirm that you meet the requirements to legally practice there.
What to Ask Massage Therapy Schools
Before you enroll in a massage therapy program, there are some important questions that you need to ask about the programs you are considering. As previously mentioned, the location of the school is important, particularly if you will be commuting to classes from Munford AL. And of course the total cost, including tuition, books and all training materials will also be an important factor. But beyond those basic qualifications, following are some questions you should ask so that you have all of the facts before selecting a massage therapist degree program.
- Is the School Accredited? Accreditation may be required for licensing as well as student loans or financial aid. It also helps to ensure that the program meets acceptable levels of quality. Some Munford AL employers also prefer job candidates from accredited schools.
- Does their Curriculum Comply with EALP Standards? Entry-Level Analysis Project (EALP) standards were created by an association of massage organizations to define minimum standards for preparing massage school graduates for entry-level professional work.
- What Massage Therapy Programs are Available? Find out if the type of program you are interested in is available, such as an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy. Also, if you need to attend evening classes near Munford AL make sure that they are offered as well.
- What Types of Massage Therapy are Taught? As previously mentioned, most massage therapy schools teach Swedish Massage. However, the better programs include multiple types of massage therapy. Make sure that the program you choose includes those you are most interested in.
- Is Financial Aid Available? To qualify for federal financial aid or a student loan, the school will need to be accredited by a national accrediting organization. Find out from the schools you are considering what they offer in aid or if they assist students in obtaining funding from other sources.
- How Long has the School Existed? One indication that a school provides a quality education is longevity. However, all schools had to start from day one, and many fine schools are relatively new. So use this as one of several qualifications when comparing schools.
- Does the School have a Job Placement Program? Find out if the schools have job placement programs and what their placement rates are. Ask if they assist with such skills as how to interview for a position and how to prepare a resume.
- Is Plenty of Hands-On Training Provided? This includes classroom training as well as placement in internship programs. The best massage therapy schools make sure that students have plenty of time to practice what they learn so they can develop their skills and be corrected when necessary.
- What is the Background of the Faculty? Find out what the experience and credentials are of the teaching faculty. Speaking with schools’ faculty in person can also provide valuable information. Before applying, arrange to take a tour of the school and talk with staff members and students if permissible. Schools may also have Open House events for prospective students.
Massage Therapy College Courses Munford AL
Good luck as you embark on your journey to begin a career as a professional massage therapist. As with all things worth achieving, it will take a lot of hard work and dedication to succeed. You originally came to this website because of your interest in Massage Therapy College Courses and wanting to get more information on the topic How Much Does It Cost To Become A Massage Therapist. However, by following the suggestions contained within this article, you will have an excellent opportunity for success by picking the right massage therapist school. And with the right education you will soon become a professional massage therapist servicing the Munford Alabama area.
Other Massage Therapy Locations in Alabama
Munford is a town in Talladega County, Alabama, United States. At the 2010 census the population was 1,292. It is the location of what has been called the last battle of the Civil War east of the Mississippi, the Battle of Munford on April 23, 1865, being one week after the Battle of Columbus (April 16, 1865) in Georgia.
Munford was initially incorporated in 1873. At some point in the 1880s, it either disincorporated or lost its charter. In 2000, Munford was classified as a census-designated place (CDP), and in 2002 formally incorporated again.
As of the census of 2010 there were 1,292 people, 492 households, and 355 families residing in the town. The population density was 587.3 people per square mile (226.7/km²). There were 554 housing units at an average density of 251.8 per square mile (97.2/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 82.4% White, 15.6% Black or African American, 0.5% Native American, 0.1% some other race, and 1.3% from two or more races. 1.0% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
Business Results 1 - 10 of 2
Bing: Alabama Massage Therapy Schools Search results
Currently.com - AT&T Yahoo Email, News, Sports & More
Get the latest in news, entertainment, sports, weather and more on Currently.com. Sign up for free email service with AT&T Yahoo Mail.
Accredited Massage Therapy Schools Near Me - LMT Programs
Accredited schools have financial aid assistance for students who qualify. "Massage therapy students will take courses in kinesiology, which is the study of motion and mechanics of the human body; pathology, history of massage, laws and regulations ..., different types of massage such as Swedish, hot stone, sports, deep tissue, prenatal, and more."
Parking & Visitor Services - Western University
Western University is located on the traditional lands of the Anishinaabek, Haudenosaunee, Lūnaapéewak, and Chonnocton (Neutral) peoples, on lands connected with the London Township and Sombra Treaties of 1796 and the Dish with One Spoon Covenant Wampum.
CBS Boston - Breaking News, Sports, Weather, I-Team Investigations - WBZ-TV
The state requires students to be vaccinated against polio, but the I-Team found kids at some Boston elementary schools are not fully protected. Oct 13; More from the I-Team Keller @ Large ...
EzineArticles Submission - Submit Your Best Quality Original Articles ...
Some Dangers From Pandemic Fatigue. After, close to two years, it should surprise no one, many are, at the least, tired of this horrendous pandemic, or even, far - more, fatigued, and sick - and- tired of it, and the impact on our lives!
CBD Gummies | Best CBD Gummies in 2022 | Hemp Bombs
Shop the best CBD Gummies online from Hemp Bombs made in the U.S. Buy CBD Gummies for sale in high potency, sleep, immunity and botanical blends.
2022 Massage Prices | Average Massage Therapy Cost (Near Me)
Average Massage Prices. Average massage prices range from $50 to $90 per hour with most spending about $75.For a shorter 30-minute massage, expect to spend $30 to $65, whereas a 90-minute massage costs $90 to $175.Prices depend on the duration, location, the type of massage, and any add-ons such as aromatherapy.
AMTA | American Massage Therapy Association
Massage therapy has numerous benefits for many health conditions. Explore the massage/health connection and see how you can help your clients with a variety of medical challenges. ... Schools. Discover the tools and resources you need to strengthen your school, broaden your reach and set your faculty and students up for success. New Benefit ...
State Regulations | AMTA - American Massage Therapy Association
Find information about massage therapy regulations by state and massage therapy licenses and licensing requirements. ... Alabama. enacted 1996. Alaska. enacted 2014. Arizona. enacted 2003. Arkansas. enacted 1951. California. enacted 2008. ... massage students and schools, AMTA invests membership dollars in advocacy and promotion of the health ...
U.S. News | Latest National News, Videos & Photos - ABC News - ABC News
Get the latest breaking news across the U.S. on ABCNews.com