How to Choose the Best Massage Therapy Course near Ariton Alabama
Enrolling in the best massage therapist school near Ariton AL is a critical first step toward launching a rewarding new career as a massage therapist. As you have no doubt concluded, who wouldn’t enjoy working in an occupation where the primary goal is to help people feel and function better? Massage therapists can work in a wide range of locations, including medical clinics, health spas, hospitals and alternative care facilities. However prior to beginning a career in this specialty of holistic healthcare, obtaining the proper training and licensing is imperative. And remember that massage therapist schools are not all the same. When evaluating your options, it’s important that you research all facets of the schools you are reviewing and not make your decision based solely on location or cost of tuition. Following are a few fundamental tips that you should incorporate into your due diligence process when selecting a massage therapy school.
What is a Massage Therapist?
As mentioned in the introduction, massage therapy is a holistic form of healthcare in Ariton AL that helps people feel and function better. The massage therapist manipulates skin, muscles and tissue to reduce stress and relieve tension and pain in their patients. Swedish, or Classic Massage, is the type of massage that most people think of when discussing massage therapy, and most massage therapy schools teach it as their primary form of massage. However, there are many other types of massage that programs may or may not include within their course of instruction. Following are just a few examples.
- Neuromuscular Therapy Massage
- Deep Tissue Massage
- Sports Massage
- Shiatsu Massage
- Thai Massage
- Hot Stone Massage
- Pregnancy Massage
Professionals that work in massage therapy in Ariton AL should be referred to as massage therapists. From time to time one may hear them called a masseuse or a masseur, which refers to a female or a male massage practitioner. However, these terms generally carry a negative connotation among the general public and professionals alike and should be avoided.
Massage Therapy Education Requirements
Most schools offering massage therapy require that the enrollee have a high school diploma or its equivalent to qualify. Programs can range in length from several months for a Certificate or a Diploma to as long as two years for an Associate’s Degree. The lengths of the programs will also vary by State based on the number of hours required for licensing. Another factor that may also influence the program length is whether classes are offered in Ariton AL during the day or in the evening. Also, an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy may have general education requirements and are often transferable into a related Bachelor’s Degree Program. Once you have received your Certificate or Degree, the education does not end there. The amount and type of continuing education you will need to complete will depend on the State where you are licensed. Some states require both a certain number of hours of continuing education as well as specific education in subjects such as HIPAA compliance or ethics.
Massage Therapist Licensing
Once you have graduated from an accredited massage therapy school, you will then need to become licensed in the State where you will be practicing. The Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx), is a test controlled and administered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) and is required by most States as part of the licensing process. Some States have their own or additional exams, so check with your State prior to enrolling in a massage therapy program. If you do not pass the MBLEx in the first attempt, you can take it again after 30 days but must pay an additional exam fee. Once licensed, you will need to maintain it in most states, which means paying a renewal fee and satisfying renewal requirements. As previously mentioned, renewal typically requires a certain number of hours of continuing education be completed. And if you should move to another State, you will need to get licensed in that new State as well. Every State regulates massage therapy differently, so it is not safe to assume that you will automatically qualify for licensing. Check with your new State before moving to confirm that you meet the requirements to legally practice there.
What to Ask Massage Therapist Schools
Before you pick a massage therapist program, there are some important questions that you need to ask about the programs you are considering. As previously mentioned, the location of the school is important, particularly if you will be commuting to classes from Ariton AL. And of course the total cost, including tuition, books and all training materials will also be an important factor. But beyond those basic qualifications, following are some questions you should ask so that you have all of the facts before choosing a massage therapist degree program.
- Is the School Accredited? Accreditation may be required for licensing as well as student loans or financial aid. It also helps to ensure that the program meets acceptable levels of quality. Some Ariton AL employers also prefer job candidates from accredited schools.
- Does their Curriculum Comply with EALP Standards? Entry-Level Analysis Project (EALP) standards were created by an association of massage organizations to define minimum standards for preparing massage school graduates for entry-level professional work.
- What Massage Therapy Programs are Available? Find out if the type of program you are interested in is available, such as an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy. Also, if you need to attend evening classes near Ariton AL make sure that they are offered as well.
- What Types of Massage Therapy are Taught? As previously mentioned, most massage therapy schools teach Swedish Massage. However, the better programs include multiple types of massage therapy. Make sure that the program you choose includes those you are most interested in.
- Is Financial Aid Available? To qualify for federal financial aid or a student loan, the school will need to be accredited by a national accrediting organization. Find out from the schools you are considering what they offer in aid or if they assist students in obtaining funding from other sources.
- How Long has the School Existed? One indication that a school provides a quality education is longevity. However, all schools had to start from day one, and many fine schools are relatively new. So use this as one of several qualifications when comparing schools.
- Does the School have a Job Placement Program? Find out if the schools have job placement programs and what their placement rates are. Ask if they assist with such skills as how to interview for a position and how to prepare a resume.
- Is Plenty of Hands-On Training Provided? This includes classroom training as well as placement in internship programs. The best massage therapy schools make sure that students have plenty of time to practice what they learn so they can develop their skills and be corrected when necessary.
- What is the Background of the Faculty? Find out what the experience and credentials are of the teaching faculty. Speaking with schools’ faculty in person can also provide valuable information. Before applying, arrange to take a tour of the school and talk with staff members and students if permissible. Schools may also have Open House events for prospective students.
How Long Is Massage Therapy School Ariton AL
Good luck as you embark on your journey to begin a career as a professional massage therapist. As with all things worth achieving, it will take a lot of hard work and dedication to succeed. You originally came to this website because of your interest in How Long Is Massage Therapy School and wanting to get more information on the topic Massage Therapist Training Cost. However, by following the suggestions contained within this article, you will have an excellent opportunity for success by enrolling in the right massage therapist degree program. And with the right education you will soon become a professional massage therapist servicing the Ariton Alabama area.
Other Massage Therapy Locations in Alabama
Ariton is a town in Dale County, Alabama, United States. At the 2010 census the population was 764. It was incorporated in April 1906. The name is a blend of its two predecessor town names: Ariosto and Charleston.
Ariton is located in northwestern Dale County at 31°35′54″N 85°43′8″W / 31.59833°N 85.71889°W / 31.59833; -85.71889 (31.598204, -85.718761). Alabama State Routes 51 and 123 pass through the center of town as Main Street. AL 51 leads northeast 11 miles (18 km) to Clio and southwest 3.5 miles (5.6 km) to U.S. Route 231, while AL 123 leads west 3.5 miles (5.6 km) to US 231 and southeast 12 miles (19 km) to Ozark, the Dale County seat.
As of the census of 2000, there were 772 people, 306 households, and 220 families residing in the town. The population density was 152.3 people per square mile (58.8/km2). There were 335 housing units at an average density of 66.1 per square mile (25.5/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 69.30% White, 29.27% Black or African American, 0.13% Native American, and 1.30% from two or more races. 0.78% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
Business Results 1 - 10 of 10
Bing: Alabama Massage Therapy Schools Search results
Massage Therapy License Requirements | Certification ...
The majority of states have massage therapy license requirements in place or a certification system in place. these requirements must be met prior to legally being able to practice as a massage therapist. MassageTherapyLicense.org has researched, organized, filtered and clarified these requirements in each state so that you can now easily find the specific massage therapy license requirement ...
Types of Strokes in Massage Therapy - Video & Lesson ...
Massage is one way that you can reduce stress and increase relation. Swedish massage is the use of five basic strokes put together in a sequence that will benefit the client. The strokes of ...
Lookup a License - FSMTB
Lookup a license function. Look up a License® is an online service sponsored by the Federation of Associations of Regulatory Boards (FARB) intended to provide the public with easy online access to verify the licensure status of massage therapists.
Alabama Board of Massage Therapy
Alabama Board of Massage Therapy 2777 Zelda Road Montgomery, AL 36106
State Regulations | AMTA
Learn how massage therapy regulation and licensing promotes the profession and protects clients' health. Experience the Nonprofit Advantage® As the largest nonprofit professional association serving massage therapists, massage students and schools, AMTA invests membership dollars in advocacy and promotion of the health benefits of massage.
PTA Programs List | Compare CAPTE Accredited PTA Schools
This page is updated and maintains a full list of CAPTE accredited physical therapy assistant programs in the U.S. (Currently 378 PTA Schools) with a zip code search tool to find PTA programs nearby. ️ Page Updated: September 20th, 2021 Any questions you have about PTA programs are answered here and include resources to help you plan your schooling and connect with accredited PT assistant ...
AMTA | American Massage Therapy Association
Take our new course to get an in-depth look at cupping therapy as a soft tissue technique for massage therapists. 2021 National Awards We are proud to congratulate the recipients of the 2021 National Awards for their leadership, enthusiasm and dedication to the massage profession.
Respiratory Therapy Continuing Education
Respiratory Therapy Continuing Education Explore CE courses for respiratory therapists designed to fulfill your requirements and grow your expertise so you can get back to what’s important: caring for your patients.
Occupational Therapy Continuing Education, CEU Credits ...
Occupational Therapy Continuing Education Discover CE courses for occupational therapists designed to fulfill your state requirements and grow your expertise so you can get back to what’s important: caring for your patients.
Continuing Education for Psychologists, CE Credits for ...
Become a Member. Your passport to unlimited learning. Psychology CE Packages. Convenient packages designed to help meet your Psychology license requirements.